EASA 66 Module 16 - Piston Engine
The Piston Engine is covered in EASA 66 Module 16 in much the same way the Gas Turbine Engine is covered in EASA 66 Module 15. Module 16 is a comprehensive and thorough presentation of all necessary details that an aircraft power-plant technician must know.
- 16.1 Fundamentals
- Mechanical, thermal and volumetric efficiencies;
Operating principles - 2 stroke, 4 stroke, Otto and Diesel;
Piston displacement and compression ratio;
Engine configuration and firing order.
- 16.2 Engine Performance
- Power calculation and measurement;
Factors affecting engine power;
- 16.3 Engine Construction
- Crank case, crank shaft, cam shafts, sumps;
Cylinder and piston assemblies;
Connecting rods, inlet and exhaust manifolds;Valve mechanisms;
Propeller reduction gearboxes.
- 16.4 Engine Fuel Systems
Types, construction and principles of operation; Icing and heating;
Fuel injection systems
Types, construction and principles of operation;
Electronic engine control
Operation of engine control and fuel metering systems including electronic engine control (FADEC);
System layout and components.
- 16.5 Starting and Ignition Systems
- Starting systems;
Magneto types, construction and principles of operation;
Ignition harnesses, spark plugs;
Low and high tension systems.
- 16.6 Induction, Exhaust and Cooling Systems
- Operation and characteristics of different turbine blade types;
Nozzle guide vanes;
Causes and effects of turbine blade stress and creep.
- 16.7 Supercharging / Turbocharging
- Principles and purpose of supercharging and its effects on engine parameters;
Construction and operation of supercharging/turbocharging systems;
- 16.8 Lubricants and Fuels
- Properties and specifications;
- 16.9 Lubrication Systems
- System operation/layout and components.
- 16.10 Engine Indication Systems
- Engine speed;
Cylinder head temperature;
Oil pressure and temperature;
Exhaust Gas Temperature;
Fuel pressure and flow;
- 16.11 Powerplant Installation
- Configuration of firewalls, cowlings, acoustic panels,engine mounts, anti -vibration mounts,hoses, pipes, feeders, connectors, wiring looms, control cables and rods, lifting points and drains.
- 16.12 Engine Monitoring and Ground Operation
- Procedures for starting and ground run-up;
Interpretation of engine power output and parameters;
Inspection of engine and components: criteria, tolerances,and data specified by engine manufacturer.
- 16.13 Engine Storage and Preservation
- Preservation and de-preservation for the engine and accessories/systems.